Thursday, January 12, 2012
I took these photos of Festus today. The tips of his comb are hard & dry.
His comb has flopped to one side.
After much research & looking at photos of what some call frostbite or frostburn. I started treating his comb & wattles with neosporin. I read that the black areas will dry & fall off. I also read that I could cut the black areas off. Called dubbing on a chicken advice site. I am not sure I can do that to Festus. For now I have applied the neosporin to his comb & wattles in hopes they will not become infected. I read to prevent this to apply petroleum jelly to all the chickens wattles & combs. So I will be doing this. I checked the chicken coop just to be sure there was plenty of soft shavings. There was a least five inches of shavings but I added another two inches of fresh shavings before I gathered the flock to put them back in & feed them today after there roaming time about the homestead. The egg laying increased today. We had a very mild day today making it nice for the flock to wonder about & scratch while I checked all the creatures homes for bedding & cleaning needs.
Blessings til Next Time!