Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesdays Display Chain "Sewn Or Stitched With Love"

Today is Misi's Tuesday Display Chain. The theme this Tuesday is "Sewn Or Stitched With Love" so I would like to share some of the things I have sewn or stitched. To see more of this chain you can visit Misi's blog at http://1890gablehousemusings.blogspot.com

I sewed some of my dolls on this old singer sewing machine. It belonged to my Gram. Gram used this machine to sew many creations on herself before she passed. I was given the sewing machine by my Pap about a week before he passed. I did get to sew one doll on the machine that week before he passed. I took the doll to show Pap & I put it in the bed with him. He had just come home from the hospital that day. He got a laugh out of the doll & called it a Poly Wog. He said your Gram would be happy you are using the machine. A few days later he passed.

These are two of the dolls I have made. Some I have kept for myself. I made my Granddaughter her own doll for Christmas & clothes so she could dress her doll. Others I have sold. These two are for sale in my sidebar & picture trail along with some other dolls.


This is a quilt top that I have finished. I need to find material for the backing & knot it yet.

I made little mice that ended up on the homestead Christmas tree & now they are on the homestead Valentine tree.

These are just a few of the samplers here at the homestead that I have stitched. I have stitched other samplers that I have given as gifts or sold.




Gifts that are stitched are gifts from the heart made with tender loving care by the giver to the receiver. When life gives you scraps.....make a quilt!

Blessings Til next Time!

17 comments:

  1. Hi, Lara
    Heartfelt story about your Grandfather, the doll and your Grandma's sewing machine, ( love the old singers!)
    So enjoyed all your sewing displays, you are very talented!
    enjoy the evening,Wonder what your cookin?
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old Singer sewing machines and yours has such a wonderful history. Thanks for sharing it along with the pics of your pretty creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful. it is a beautiful machine and such special memories it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a truly special Singer! You have made wonderful memories using it also.
    I love the stitchery about having Christ - He is all we need in truth!
    Blessings
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, very nice. I love that Singer sewing machine. They don't make machines like that anymore!!! Your dolls are really sweet. The photo of that first one is adorable!!! Well done :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! How nice to have your Grams' old sewing machine! Love your dolls too, just all of it is lovely!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Blessings,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the items you made with love..and I have a machine embroidery design with the "if life gives you scaps make a quilt..should make it up.;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your stitchings, and the old singer. I especially love the mice in your tree. That is such a great idea. My son would love that. maybe if I ever get time to sew I should make some. Life grabs you by the hand and drags you in before you know it though.
    thanks for sharing.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. When life gives you scraps, make a quilt. That's wonderful and I must say, I love the pieced quilt top waiting for knots. Beautifully simple, like the wool one I have at the cabin, stitched with Turkey Tracks. Love your primitive dolls and that you are now making them on your Grandmothers Singer. What a lovely machine and gift. I'm sure each stitch will remind you of your Grandparents.
    BlessYourSweetHeart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lara,
    Thank you for sharing the sweet story about your Pap. It made me think of my own sweet grandparents. My Gran used to sew on a similar machine...I can remember sitting on the floor near her while she made the old treadle machine whir. :)

    You dolls are lovely in their simplicity and I really love the colors and pattern of your quilt. Thanks so much for sharing your photos-and your memories!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all those samplers!! And the sweet story about your Pap.
    Blessings,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Lara, You've got some real treasures handed down to you from grams and gramps.

    Hey, I want the black mammy dolly:) I've been eyeing her. Give me a shout for details.

    Hugs~Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful that you were able to bless your grandfather that way - I'm sure it made him feel wonderful knowing that you were using his wife's old sewing machine! And I really like the samplers. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a treasure you old singer is!!! I think things that were loved so much bring the feeling of love with them, as well as so many memories. Linking generations. Ok mush and gush.... lol But really that's how I feel about my old things. I love your dolls and samplers.
    Enjoy
    Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, what a sad but very sweet story about your grandma's sewing machine! That's wonderful that you were able to show your grandpa that you use it. Your handmades are adorable! Cute little mice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sewing machine is wonderful. I know you must cherish it so. What a treasure you have. The dolls you make are beautiful. I love the one with the peach/orange colored dress. Samplers are so homey--love to have them around the house :)
    The little mice are so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Greetings from Canada I came across your blog and was so happy to see your singer sewing machine and your sewing projects. Nice work I have a few singers my favourite is a 1952 one. I made my girls queensize quilts on it. It sewed like a dream. I will be back. B

    ReplyDelete