Thursday, September 2, 2010

Summer Road Trips


Off we went this summer not once but twice to Amish country.

We visited the market at Belleville Pa where many Amish sell their wares & baked goods.

Of course we always bring home fresh fruit & veggies at great savings.

On up the road we went to Reedsville to visit the flea market. These are the treasures I found that came home with me the first trip. Two pretty tee towels which you have seen hanging from my quilt rack. A wonderful gray granite ware dish pan to add to my collection. It is now hanging in the kitchen. Finally I found a chopper to put in the rolling pin dough bowl holder I got from Firecracker Kid. This amazing wood soap dish that I have not put to use yet but I did get a chunk of Hogwash soap to put in it. Sam found some treasures of his own too. A must have as always is another tractor for his shelf. A rubber duck for his animal collection and a old wood goose to put up in his room. Sam loves his ducks & geese. For that matter all creature.

Treasures I found came home with us the second trip. Two gray granite ware pie plates, a small wood bowl, a cast iron match stick holder, old skeleton keys and a short screwdriver.

Amish ladies sell cut flowers & weeds as I call them for drying. I got a large bunch of this & separated it into two bunches. I coffee stained strips of cheese cloth to tie around them & hung them from the arch at each end. They smell good.

My Gram grew these kind of flowers in her garden years ago. They made me think of her so I picked up a small bunch of these for the kitchen.

I finally got a large bunch of sweet annie to spread around the homestead. It smells so good. I hope to grow some myself next spring. Fingers crossed. While on another road trip threw Gettysburg Pa I got my first coverlet draped on the rocking chair. I just love it.

I snapped this photo while setting at a light in Gettysburg.

I had to get out and snap this photo of this civil war chapel model down from the square. It was so rustic & primitive.

I had to wait a few minutes for tourist to look & leave to snap this photo. I just think it is so pretty & cozy inside. I bet the seating is not to comfy on the bottom.

On down the road we went to Red Lion to visit Family Heirloom Weavers but we missed turning off on the road. I was so close to. I hope to get back down there and visit the shop. The coverlet I got in Gettysburg was made there by Pat Kline. The Gallery Of American Crafts sells the Family Heirloom Weavers coverlets, pillows, tablecloths, runners & window coverings. They are all beautiful. Of course there was much more I wanted to bring home with me. In time maybe. One piece at a time.

Blessings Til Next Time!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...you came home with all sorts of beautiful treasures :) :) :) HOw fun !!!! Tomorrow is Friday which is the best day for going to yard sales :) :) I'm not sure what there'll be tomorrow since it's Labor Day weekend. I really enjoyed your photos and being able to catch a glimpse of the eastern part of the United States :) :) I thought the very first photo with the road and all those trees was especially beautiful :) :) :) I've always loved old roads like that :) :) Have a great day tomorrow. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely treasures! I grew up near Gettysburg Pa! It's a lovely area and lots of wonderful antique and crafts shops! Looks like you had a great time!
    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lvoe that old chapel. What a treat to run into something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOOW...What wonderful items you bought.
    What kind of flowers are those that you picked???

    What a beautiful chapel in Gettysburg....now I've been there many times and never stopped to see it. Next time.

    Hoping to see pictures of your coverlet!!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete