Thursday, December 30, 2010

Changes To The Fireplace


This is the homestead fireplace in the living room. For some time I have been wanting to make it look more like a real fireplace. After making it I was not sure how I wanted to finish it. It has been about two years now. After looking at many Country Sampler magazines & A Primitive Place magazines I was even more sure I wanted to do more to it. I have seen many beautiful fireplaces shown in the many blogs I follow. You all have such wonderful taste. Now I am sure I want to do a fireplace redo. I thought about painting it black over colonial red then distressing it but I believe I will keep it stained to match the side cabinets for sure.

I removed the black cast iron piece I had on it. I will have to find another way to use it some where else. It was my Pap & Grams. I am thinking I want to add the corbels & a shelf cut to fit on top of them to make the fireplace look as if it has two levels. Also thinking I want to put a board with pegs between the corbels to hang the Christmas stockings on at Christmas. I got the perfect long black basket for Christmas that would look amazing hanging from the pegs the rest of the year. Another deli ma is should I stain all the extras to match the fireplace & side cabinets or paint them black? So I was wondering what all of you think & if you have any suggestions. I will look forward to hearing any in put from you all.

Blessings Til Next Time!

13 comments:

  1. Oh boy, my first reaction would be stain it to match, and maybe set your cast iron piece on top of the mantle. It's gonna be beautiful I know whatever you decide to do just like the rest of your home makeovers:) I wish you a Happy New Year!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would paint your fireplace and mantel black..it would really make it pop and give it the "focal" point of the room..;) I like what you are adding to it to beef it up..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for the black over colonial red. Like Gina said, it would make it pop and be the true focal point. Just my humble opinion.8-) Can't wait to see the finished piece. The corbels are going to really add to it and I like the idea of the shelf as well.
    Blessings,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a wonderful 2011! Peace, Love, Health and Happiness for the New Year!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your colonial living room where you have the new quilt. Take a look at some of the old colonial homes and see how they have done theirs. Places such as Williamsburg, Va. may give you wonderful ideas. I do like the corbels and shelf. Great ideas. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the top needs to be thicker to make a more substantial mantel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was gonna say black but I was afraid to see what the others thought, hehe! I think it needs to stand out a bit and staining it the same color would blend it all in too much. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The final decision is yours but looking back on bits of your home, you already have black accents. Personally, I would distress whatever color you come up with, black for me. It will hold with the primitive theme. The older looking the better. I found you at my sisters, UpNorthWithMel, and will be back. I enjoy your creative thinking.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your home is so lovely. I actually like how it is, with the wood. LOL I'm sure whatever you choose will be beautiful! You have a gift for decorating!
    Have a wonderful 2011!!
    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of painting and distressing it black. The corbels and shelf are a perfect match to the style. You have to live with it so if painting it causes you to second guess yourself, don't do it. Sometimes taking the paint back off can be very frustrating. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.
    Hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmmm... you do need something over the fireplace to make a statement. Some sort of a mantle looking thing or at least some decorative wood turnings on the corners. As for color to play it safe do black. It matches anything and you can compliment it with more colors. However if you dare to be different do it a barn red with a dark stain over top. Love the cabinets flanking the fireplace.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a very pretty fireplace>>paint if you want to I always like black( but that is me!LOL)
    It is a wonderful piece to work with...can't wait to see what you do with it!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, a pretty fireplace. I love black and anything painted and stressed. Decorating items always seem to show up more on something that is painted. I know it will look great, whatever you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete